- 6 Vivacious Valentine’s Day Outfit Ideas (by Ashley Stewart)Posted 8 months ago
- Available Now: The New Sizzling GabiFresh for Swim Sexy 2016 CollectionPosted 9 months ago
- SWAK Designs Holiday Bliss LookbookPosted 10 months ago
- Stunning Holiday Styles from Kiyonna (Our 9 Top Picks)Posted 11 months ago
- How to Mix & Match The Easy WayPosted 12 months ago
- How to Measure Yourself When Ordering a Plus Size DressPosted 12 months ago
- Should Plus Size Women Wear Pencil or A-Line Skirts?Posted 1 year ago
- Pretty Prom: Emma by Sydney’s ClosetPosted 3 years ago
- How To Dress A Busty Hour Glass Figure Stylishly!Posted 3 years ago
- Wedding Wednesday: Ready for Romance by Sydney’s ClosetPosted 3 years ago
Sydney’s Closet Guide to Stress-free Shopping for Plus Size Prom Dresses
Ten Tips to Find Frocks that Rock for Curvy Teens
Prom 2013 shopping season is in full swing, and teens everywhere can’t wait to find that perfect and oh-so stylish dress. But for girls who wear a size 14 or larger shopping for their dream gown can quickly become a nightmare.
The fit of a typical prom dress, originally designed for skinny teens, fails to flatter real curves. The selection of fashionable styles remains slim. And to make the situation worse, there’s limited supply of those designs.
That’s not the case at Sydney’s Closet, a specialty apparel company, designed to make shopping for a plus-size Prom dress a dream-come-true rite of passage. “We’re the only dress manufacturer in the U.S. dedicated exclusively to making Prom dresses ahead of the fashion curve in hard-to-find plus sizes 14 to 32,” says Phyllis Brasch Librach, president and founder of Sydney’s Closet. “Our sample size is 18 not size 6 and in our warehouse in St. Louis we stock thousands of trendy dresses ready to ship.”
Librach offers these top 10 tips for having a fun and fabulous experience shopping for a plus size Prom dress:
- Shop early: start in January
- You don’t have to wear black to look thin
- Take your bust, waist and hips measurements; keep handy on cell phone or write it down
- Fit matters most, not size
- Shape wear is not an option; it’s a requirement
- Avoid side zippers
- Look for lace-up backs for an easy fit and fewer alterations
- When in doubt, go with an A-line design; it flatters any body type
- Always plan on alterations for a perfect fit
- Your best accessory is your smile
Librach remains passionate about designing prom frocks that rock for plus size teens. “Our Prom gown collection has never looked so good,” she says, pointing out her recent designs featured on the pages of O, Oprah magazine, Teen Prom and Seventeen. “The greatest compliment we can get is when teens who wear size 4 or 6 ask if Sydney’s Closet designs come in their size,” says Librach. “And we have to tell them ‘no’.”
Loyal customers consider Librach a modern-day fairy Godmother who waves a fashion wand so that dream-come-true Prom dresses magically appear in a flash.
“Sydney’s Closet makes dress buying as fun as the event you are going to,” says Julie Smith of Missouri. “And the selection is outstanding.” She should know. For the past six years, her three curvy – and tall – teen-age daughters have worn Sydney’s Closet designs to Prom and other high-school dances. “My girls are athletes, but naturally they want to look stunning for Prom.”
The countdown to Prom 2013 is just weeks away. But Librach is already designing Sydney’s Closet 2014 plus size Prom dress collection. “It’s never too early to get started,” she says. “An estimated one in every five teens in the U.S. wears a plus size dress.”
About Sydney’s Closet
Librach, an award-winning journalist, traded deadlines for hemlines to launch Sydney’s Closet after her teen-age daughter failed to find a plus size Prom gown that flattered her curvy figure. Today, Sydney’s Closet designs, distributes and sells dressy plus-size dresses for teens and women ages 16 to 60. Customers across the US and around the world dress up for once-in-a-lifetime celebrations wearing Sydney’s Closet fashion-forward original designs. In addition to Prom gowns, Sydney’s Closet features formals, cocktail dresses and wedding gowns in hard-to-find plus sizes 14 to 40. The collections, sold under the Sydney’s Closet label, are available online at SydneysCloset.com and at Authorized Retailers in the USA, Puerto Rico, Canada and Australia.